January 15, 2013

On Toys and Tools

I have always been a bit frugal and creative in much of my crafting endeavors. So when I fell in love with working from a center pulled yarn ball, naturally I watched many YouTube videos to do it myself. By hand. It was going very well. Until I started a project that required five different colored yarns. At first, I was like "Yeah bring it on!". Then it turned into "it can be very relaxing to wind yarn by hand. Om..." . After all that, my turnover rate was one yarn ball per day. At that point I realized something has to be done, which most likely involves me purchasing a yarn ball winder. So I gave in and I got one from Knit Picks.

Yarn Ball Winder

And let me tell you something... this was the best $20 investment I have made in my entire life. It is a great tool that produces these fabulous center pulled yarn balls that doesn't roll around. After I set it up for the first time, I wound 7 - 8 skeins in an hour and half. I was really, really impressed.

yarn ball winder: montage
Speaking of tools, some time ago I purchased a No.7 crochet hook. The only one I found was from Tulip. Although it is a little expensive than your regular Boye hook (which I have been using solely until then), it is a charm to work with it. I can not say enough good things about this particular hook! So, I put it on my wish list to purchase it someday when I am an expert in crochet (he he). But my lovely hubby totally surprised me this Christmas by getting the entire set! And I am so in love with them!!

Tulip Crochet Hooks

Do you have any particular craft tool that you can not do without? I would love to hear about it!

Disclaimer: Knit Picks and Tulip did not pay me to say anything for their products. These are my personal opinion on things I have purchased myself or received as gifts.  
0 comments

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Please do share!

I love to read your comments. If you want to hear back from me, don't forget to click the 'Notify me' box, when you are done. Otherwise, don't forget to check back.