May 12, 2012

Headband with Pointy Petal Flower

Every time someone moves away from this town, our Bengali community usually throws a big farewell party with lots of food. This seems a little too impersonal to me. I’d rather throw a nice dinner party with just couple of close friends. If it’s not possible due to the moving-family’s schedule, I usually put together a going-away-package. I’ll throw in some handmade stuff for every member of the family and a nice card saying how much we’ll miss them.

As my friend, R, is moving away this weekend, I made her the flower coasters. She also has a little girl, a 3 year old, who is absolutely adorable! I had a little trouble deciding what to make for the cutie. Then I thought ‘headband’. I already made a cute headband for another friend’s kid. So I was quite comfortable making the headband.

Braided Headband with 7-petal Flower

Braided Headband with 7-petal Flower

This time I changed the flower and made it with seven pointy petals. This flower was inspired by this pattern. To jazz it up I added some stamen and a button to match the band. For the band, I made it wider by using double crochet stitches instead of single crochet. I think it turned out pretty good! What do you think?

[Edited January 24, 2013: I have had numerous questions and requests about the patterns I used for this headband. I bought the headband pattern from “Mon Petit Violon” on Etsy. As it is not my design, I cannot publish it on my blog. Also, the base flower pattern is found on “Bonita Patterns”.

The stamen part goes something like this:

Start a magic ring (or ch 5, join with ss).
Round 1: ch 1, 14 sc in ring, ss to first sc.
Round 2: ch 8, sc on the 2nd from hook and on each of next 6 chs. ss to next sc (first stamen made). * ss to next sc, ch 8, sc on the 2nd from hook and on each of next 6 chs, ss to next sc.; repeat from * around. ss to the first ch. (7 stamens made)
Fasten off.]
14 comments
  1. Very nice ... love the color combo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, hate those hard plastic head bands that give you a headache in under 10 minutes, this is wearable art, that's comfortable. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like this! :) totally agree with you on the plastic headbands.

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous! I would love for you to link it to my "Do Your Thing" party!
    http://www.atkinsondrive.com/do-your-thing-link-party-week-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! I don't have a tutorial for this headband yet. But I'd love join your link party some time.

      Delete
  4. A friend of my son (they are in 11th grade) pinned this headband on Pinterest and then put it on Instagram asking if I could make it. :-) Thanks for making it easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thnks so much for this beautiful head band

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only learn new techniques by getting shown, watching or pictures that are informative :-( this is adorable I would like to learn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Thank you for sharing/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute headband! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you post the patterns now that the original ones are no longer available?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you post the patterns now that the original ones are no longer available?

    ReplyDelete

Have something to add? Please do share!

I love to read your comments. If you want to hear back from me, don't forget to click the 'Notify me' box, when you are done. Otherwise, don't forget to check back.